Movie "Waking Life"

Here we archive threads whose time for rest seems to us to have come. All visitors are welcome to read here, but no new threads or posts can be made in this space. Thus, these threads have earned a bit of peace and tranquility, and it behooves us all to grant them that.
zoofence
Site Admin

Movie "Waking Life"

Post by zoofence »

Last evening, we watched Waking Life, a kind of weird animated movie about a fellow wandering through his life and apparently his dreams, endlessly meeting up with an assortment of friends, teachers, and, well, weird characters, all of whom talk to him – sometimes lecture him – about life, the dream state, and so on. Part, maybe even most, of the attraction of this movie for me was the appearance. It was originally filmed with live actors, and then the whole thing was painted over, turning it into an animated, cartoon-like movie; the final product is fascinating to watch. The philosophy of it is interesting too, if sometimes a little forced, in which respect this is a little reminiscent of What the bleep do we know?. At the end of the movie, the principal character is urged to "Wake up!" It's not clear whether he does ... That may be the point.
zoofence
Site Admin

Post by zoofence »

About this movie, mjoel53 wrote us,

... what I liked best (aside from the animation which also fascinated me) was at the end, he went for the car door, and missed it, or couldn't grasp it, floating away. Nothing to hold on to. Not really. Not ever.