The Dalai Lama

Here we archive threads whose time for rest seems to us to have come. All visitors are welcome to read here, but no new threads or posts can be made in this space. Thus, these threads have earned a bit of peace and tranquility, and it behooves us all to grant them that.
zoofence
Site Admin

The Dalai Lama

Post by zoofence »

There is a brief but nice article at the Washington Post's website about a recent visit to Washington DC by the Dalai Lama, where he spoke to several different groups.

Here's a piece of it that's particularly like him and his Teaching --

"I like shopping centers," the monk, in gold and crimson robes, confessed in his stilted English, smiling as his audience roared. "Beautiful. When I go [to] these areas, I want this, I want that, I want that," he said, jabbing a finger in the air as though on a spree at Tysons Corner.

"Then, ask myself, you really need that? The answer is no."
windabove

Post by windabove »

A parallel quote attributed to Nisargadatta, as best I recollect.
You're always unhappy, you don't have what you want, and have what you don't want. Happiness is yours for the taking. Just want what you have and not want what you don't have. It's so simple.
.+*+*+*+*.LOVE.love.lOve.LoVe.*+*+*+**+.. ^^
Speculum

Post by Speculum »

"You're always unhappy!" What a great line ... uttered by a great Teacher.

It reminds me of Teresa of Avila, I think it was, who said, "More tears are shed over answered prayers than unanswered prayers".

And was it she too who said, "Be careful what you ask for in prayer. You may get it".