Who do you say I am?

Here we archive threads whose time for rest seems to us to have come. All visitors are welcome to read here, but no new threads or posts can be made in this space. Thus, these threads have earned a bit of peace and tranquility, and it behooves us all to grant them that.
zoofence
Site Admin

Who do you say I am?

Post by zoofence »

Consider this.

Name imparts form. In effect, naming a thing creates it by separating it from the whole.

The first name or word (OM) imparted form upon the void, and created (defined) the universe. Remove the name, and form dissolves, revealing its true identity, the void.

Void is chaos. Chaos is simply the One without name-and-form. As such, it is disturbing, even terrifying, to the mind, precisely because it is the function of the mind (thought) to bring order out of chaos; that is, to name, and thus give form to, every “thing”.

Thus, thought is conflict. The natural state is the nameless void. Thought, by naming, separates and delimits and defines the void; thought brings order to chaos.

Once again, the void’s natural state is chaos, or namelessness. Thought is the naming mechanism. Thus, thought is in conflict with the natural state. Thought therefore is stressful or stress-inducing.

Change is a constant in the differentiated, manifested, named, formed or ordered universe. Every apparent thing is (appears to be) in a constant state of change, flux, or motion. Being arbitrary, even artificial, a thing’s existence must be constantly restated, reminded, reinforced. Inevitably, the lines of definition, the parameters of identification, the determination of precisely what a name names, shifts and fluctuates and varies from day to day, from person to person, from attitude to attitude, from perspective to perspective.

Or, said differently, if what I call “my life” or “my world” is “me” perceived outwardly (the outer is the inner perceived outwardly), then inevitably as I change/mature/grow/etc. inwardly, what I perceive outwardly (again, what I call “my life”) is going to change. And, surely (hopefully!), inner change is constant; then so must be outer change.

So, again, the One perceived as many (“I am me, and you are you, and tables are tables”) is order, which is in conflict with the natural state, and which therefore requires constant reinforcement, which is unavoidably stressful. The One perceived as One is the natural state, chaos, which is harmonious, blissful, and inevitable.

Again, although the mind fears it, chaos is not a negative concept. It is simply the opposite of order, which itself is a synonym for manifested or differentiated. In chaos, all is one; in order, the one is named, defined, differentiated.

Where we are at any moment in this equation is expressed by our answer to the question posed by the Gospels Teacher: “Who do you say I am?” That deceptively simple but extraordinarily powerful inquiry (koan?) is a spiritual thermometer that cannot be faked or fooled. And the proof of its power is that it works however stated: "What do you say that tree is?" "Who do you say you are?" "Where do you say this conversation is taking place?" all elicit the same answer as "Who do you say I am?"