Looking for Love in All The Wrong Places

Here we archive threads whose time for rest seems to us to have come. All visitors are welcome to read here, but no new threads or posts can be made in this space. Thus, these threads have earned a bit of peace and tranquility, and it behooves us all to grant them that.
anna

Looking for Love in All The Wrong Places

Post by anna »

How's that song go? "Lookin' for love in all the wrong places......"

In all the years of advising, or responding, to queries from seekers who are discouraged because they can't find God, or peace, or happiness, despite all their practices, almost without fail, when they dig a little deeper, they discover that their failure in their efforts is a result of divided priorities, or mixed priorities, not realizing that the very word "priority" suggests one prior goal or focus above ALL ELSE, and it is this distractability and lack of consistent focus that inevitably lies at the heart of the failures.

It was Jesus that said "You cannot serve two masters." There is really no mystery or secret in this formula, it is a simple statement of fact, and it doesn't have to even apply to the spiritual search. It can be applied to any aspect of life -- even the most worldy endeavor does not succeed without focus and priority. If one is constantly divided, allotting one priority today, and another tomorrow, is it any wonder that we do not reach any goal, and are bewildered by a life that is frequently scattered, inconsistent, and chaotic.

The scattered mind creates a scattered life, no two ways about it. Thus, the reason for meditation, prayer, or any other spiritual discipline aimed at settling down to a routine of quiet contemplation, is simply to learn to discipline an otherwise undisciplined mind, a mind which normally is distracted by its own ruminations, and its senses by every breeze that comes its way and is felt by the body and interpreted by a distracted mind. To assume that God will simply be discernable and accessible to a mind that is consumed by desires and constantly seeks stimulation, is to live by wishful thinking and a hopeful adolescence.

Anything worth getting is worth working for, and a price is inevitably charged in exchange for that valuable and priceless prize. For some odd reason, we think that spiritual access and success should come free, and easily, while we do not object to working our bones off for a new car, a house, or other costly achievements. But when it comes to getting in touch with God, the ultimate achievement and the most costly "object" around, we dabble in it, and then wonder why nothing has come of that dabbling. Indeed, if we were to expend similar time and effort toward a more worldly achievement, such as music, art, writing, or a career in law, medicine, or the like, we would expect to devote years of concentrated and focused work and effort toward mastering that area of expertise. I ask, why should a career in God be any different?

So, then, the way is clear....the only demand from God is total devotion and concentration. In the thick of the world, it is frequently a great sacrifice to turn in that direction with any heroic or heartfelt determination, primarily because of habit and years of conditioning to turn in the opposite direction. I believe that is probably the rationale for retreat, or withdrawal, or a kind of hermitage life style, at least in the beginning.
Christine

put yourself to it to do it

Post by Christine »

I believe as a Catholic I did get some things right.
Way back in second grade catechism we were taught that God wanted
us to know Him, to love Him and to honor Him--- with our whole body, our whole mind, and our whole soul.
But before that we were taught that He created us because He was lonesome.

Christine.

Oh, just as an aside, as a child I saw a movie, titled, "The Miracle of
Marcelino." It may not be available any longer. Even when I saw it the film it was not in great condition. But it is worth watching. It made a impression on me that has lasted my whole life. Try a catholic goods store, if you are interested.
Andavane

Re: put yourself to it to do it

Post by Andavane »

Christine wrote:Oh, just as an aside, as a child I saw a movie, titled, "The Miracle of
Marcelino
." It may not be available any longer. Even when I saw it the film it was not in great condition. But it is worth watching. It made a impression on me that has lasted my whole life. Try a catholic goods store, if you are interested.
For the benefit of those unfamiliar with this film, could you write a potted version of it here, Christine? :wink:

anbudan

John
Siva—Siva
Christine

potted?

Post by Christine »

I would guess you mean a short synopsis.
I can try. But telling a little may give the whole story away.
So here goes.

A baby boy is left at the gate of a monastary, probably in the early 1800's.
The brothers take the baby in and name him Marcelino. Then they set about to find a family for him. They rationalize that the monastary is not a proper home for a child. But their hearts are not in the task.
The only person who wants to keep the child is the mayor of the town. The
kindly brothers decline the mayor's offer. The mayor is a cruel man.
The little boy grows older. He is an absolute delight to the brothers. But he does get into a lot of trouble. At one point he meets a little girl, who tells him about her mother. After which his major concern becomes, where is his mother.
As children are so inquisitive, the brothers warn him not to go in the room at the top of the stairs, they tell him there is a big man up there and somethings in there which can hurt him. He goes, and that is when he first encounters Jesus. Soon the brother notice food and wine missing feom the pantry,
I cannot tell the rest. Perhaps you might watch the movie.
I cried like a fifth grader then, and I cry even now, when I see this story.

Christine
Christine

Marcelino

Post by Christine »

Went on line. Little Marcelino still has a story to tell, Many comments I found were made by other adults who can recall this powerful story. But, alas the bookstores give away too much of the story

Christine
Neo

Post by Neo »

Anna, as the song goes, keep your eyes on the prize.