Wittgenstein

Almost anything, from alpha to omega.
Georg

Wittgenstein

Post by Georg »

"If someone believes that he has flown from America to England in the last few days, then, I believe, he cannot be making a mistake.
And just the same if someone says that he is at this moment sitting at a table and writing.
But even if in such cases I can’t be mistaken, isn’t it possible that I am drugged?”
If I am and if the drug has taken away my consciousness,
then I am not now really talking and thinking. I cannot seriously suppose that I am at this moment dreaming.
Someone who, dreaming, says “I am dreaming", even if he speaks audibly in doing so, is no more right than if he said in his dream “it is raining", while it was in fact raining. Even if his dream were connected with the noise of the rain."
Was just browsing through the wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Wittgenstein.

It's fun!
"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses" (Boethius)
W4TVQ

Re: Wittgenstein

Post by W4TVQ »

More light on this can be found in the book Philosophy In A New Key by Suzanne Langer. Semantics is fun.
"I can at best report only from my own wilderness. The important thing is that each man possess such a wilderness and that he consider what marvels are to be observed there." -- Loren Eiseley